Loan Deferments and Cancellations
These completed forms must be reviewed by a staff member for approval. Our office will notify you if you have been approved. Not all loan programs are eligible for these benefits. Please provide supporting documents for the deferment period requested in order to process your request and mail forms to:
Attention Student Loan Office
1501 Mercer University Drive
Macon GA 31207
INSTITUTIONAL LOANS Deferment Request Form (PDF)
- Mercer Institutional Loans only
- If approved for this type of deferment, the borrower must pay interest that accrues during the deferment period
DEFERMENT OPTIONS FOR SELECT FEDERAL AND PERKINS LOANS Deferment Request Form (PDF)
- Federal Loans Only
- Must be at least a half-time student
- Internship Residency (some restrictions apply)
- Unemployment Deferment
- Federal Perkins Loan only
- Must be unemployed during the period seeking deferment and registered with an employment agency
Economic Hardship Federal Perkins Loan only
- Borrower has been granted an economic hardship deferment for either a Direct or FFEL loan for the same period of time for which the borrower has requested the deferment for a Federal Perkins Loan.
- Receiving federal or state public assistance. (Some restrictions apply)
Forbearance Federal Perkins Loan only
- Special extenuating circumstances exist that make you temporarily unable to pay.
- Interest accrues and it is recommended you pay monthly instead of one lump sum at the end of deferment period. (some restrictions apply)
Postponement and Cancellation Forms for Federal Perkins loan only (some restrictions apply) Postponement and Cancellation Form (PDF) due to service in:
- Law Enforcement
- Medical Technician
- Social Service Agent
- Peace Corps volunteer
- Faculty at Tribal College or University
- Speech pathologist
- Military Service: In order to qualify for this deferment you must meet one of the following conditions:
- Military Operation- redefined in Section 101(a)(13) of title 10, U.S. code. Operation Jump Start does not qualify.
- National Emergency- this means an emergency declared by the President by reason of certain terrorist attacks.
- Serving on active duty during a war, military operation, or national emergency- this means the service of a member who is in the Reserves and ordered to active duty, or any retired member ordered for service in connection with a war or other military operation or national emergency, regardless of the location at which such service is performed. This includes active duty members who have been assigned to a location other than where the member is normally assigned.
- Qualifying National Guard duty during a war, military operation or national emergency- this means the member is on full time duty under a call to active service for a period of more than 30 consecutive days.
Postponement and Cancellation Rules as of October 7, 1998, all Perkins Loan borrowers are eligible for all cancellation benefits regardless of when the loan was made or the terms of the borrower's promissory note. However, this benefit is not retroactive to services performed before October 7, 1998.
- Please go to Cancellation Rules (Adobe PDF) for more information on cancellations.
- View a summary chartof available deferments and cancellations for Perkins Federal loans.
- Find out more information on qualifying for Teacher cancellation or to see if your school qualifies.
NURSE FACULTY LOAN PROGRAM (NFLP) FORMS
NFLP Partial Cancellation and Postponement Partial Cancellation and Postponement Form (PDF)
- A borrower under the Nurse Faculty Loan Program must file this form with the school of nursing which made the loan in order to claim entitlement to loan cancellation for full-time nurse faculty employment pursuant to Section 846A of the Public Health Service Act, as amended by Public Law 107-205. The form must be submitted for each complete year of full-time nurse faculty employment in a school of nursing.
NFLP Deferment Deferment Form (some restrictions apply)
- NFLP borrowers who are ordered to active duty as a member of Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Corps, Peace Corps, or the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps. A borrower who voluntarily joins a uniformed service is not eligible for deferment
- NFLP borrowers that graduate and are employed, and decide to return to a graduate nursing education program to pursue a doctoral degree to further their preparation as nurse faculty
- NFLP borrowers that graduate and participate in post-doctoral programs
Forbearance Form (PDF)
- If poor health or your present financial situation makes paying your Nurse Faculty Loan Program (NFLP) loan a financial hardship, we may be able to grant you a forbearance of your NFLP loan.Principal payments are delayed during forbearance; however, interest will continue to accrue.
TOTAL AND PERMANENT DISABILITY FORMS FEDERAL PERKINS LOAN ONLY
To qualify for this discharge, you must meet one of the following requirements:
- You are a veteran who has been determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to be unemployable due to a service connected disability, and you provide documentation from the VA of that determination
- You have received a Social Security Administration (SSA )notice of award for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) stating that your next scheduled disability review will be 5 to 7 years or more from the date of your last SSA disability determination, and you provide a copy of that SSA notice of award
- You provide a certification from a physician in Section 4 of this Discharge Application that you are unable to engage in any substantial gainful activity (see definition in Section 5) by reason of a medically determinable physical or mental impairment that can be expected to result in death ;or has lasted for a continuous period of not less than 60 months; or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 60 months